20 March 2014

Grown Ups vs Kids

I wouldn't have been triggered to write about such issue if I have not encountered one. A typicality in everyday working environment in Indonesia, which rolled like a ball of fire, lighting up everyone on its way.


And so it came the day when working with corporation is not just a discussion. All of a sudden, it was the giant versus the villain. We were forced to work under great pressure with high demand in crazy hours. There was nothing wrong in working for the big names except that they often do not appreciate you that much. Maybe I'm just stereotyping, but anyway.

I once worked for an XYZ company and they called me a kid. They said they were working with a kid. And I was... Yes, I am a kid, so how does that make a difference? I was in awe that such thing could come out from the thinking of these people. I was imagining if such thing could be said by someone when I worked in Melbourne for example. As far as I remember, I had a pretty encouraging environment during my study, during my work overseas, without having anyone making discouraging comments significant enough for me to remember.

Typically Indonesians.

As if we were not told that everyone is the same, not relating to their age, background, classes, whatever. It seems like the little is belittled and the big is getting bigger, with no chance for people to grow to reach their full capacity.

The more I think about it the more I realize that people are insecure. Why would you think they call someone a kid if it wasn't because they feel threatened? They were threatened by the kid. Worrying that the kid would grow too fast and gain more than what they could have. What do you think they did when they were at a kid's age? But imagining now that you could do things that they can only do when they are 10 or 20 years older than you are now, makes a lot of sense no for them to call you a kid?

This is just a reminder of a life occurrence of bitterness, but let's move on now.

No comments: